Contact Us

Marengo Township Office
McHenry County
4010 North Route 23
Marengo, Illinois 60152
Marengo Township Established 1879
Hours: Mon - Fri 7am - 3:30pm
Phone: 815-568-1355

General Questions

What is a "township" and what does it do?

Townships are local democratic governments established by law. Townships serve the public by providing tax assessments, highway maintenance, general assistance, land and economic planning, town hall use, and representation for all local township citizen’s issues and concerns.

Why do we need a township government when we already have a county, state and federal government?

The principal concept of our democratic system of government is grounded by the constitutional premise of representation “Of the People, By the People, and For the People”. Township government is the most fundamental “grassroots” level of local control and administration in our bureaucratic society today. It is the closest form of government to the people. County, state, and federal governments typically make, interpret, and enforce laws, thereby establishing the overall universe within which governed people live. Township government serves as a direct interface and “sounding board” for local constituents with those higher forms of government. Therefore, township government is truly the voice of the people

Do I live in Marengo Township? If not, what township do I live in?

Marengo Township is geographically located in the southwestern quadrant of McHenry County. It consists of approximately 36 square miles and is bounded to the south by both Coral and Riley Townships, to the East by Seneca Township, to the north by Dunham Township, and to the west by Boone County. The City of Marengo is located within Marengo Township. See the Information page for a map with Marengo Township borders.

Do all states have township governments?

Not all states have township governments. Some states have townships, whereas others have districts similar to townships. All serve the people they represent similarly

Who pays for township services and government?

You do, in the form of local, state, and federal taxes. However, most township revenue is derived locally from both commercial and residential taxes.

Can anyone use the Township Hall?

The town hall is generally available for free use by not-for-profit organizations within Marengo Township. It is also available on a limited fee basis to most profit-making organizations within the township. Specific rules, policies, and scheduling are available through the Township Clerk.

Who do I contact about using the Township Hall?

The Township Clerk.

What is the schedule for monthly Marengo Township board meetings and how can I get placed on the agenda to formally address the Board?

Marengo Township Board of Trustees meets once per month on the third Monday at 7:00 p.m. in the town hall. Citizens or interested parties wishing to be placed on the agenda must notify the Township Supervisor in writing no later than five (5) calendar days prior to the meeting in order to formally address the board. A brief courtesy question and answer period is offered at the beginning of each regular meeting to entertain any public comments and questions.

How can I get placed on the agenda to formally address the board?

Citizens or interested parties wishing to formally address the Township Board at a regular or special meeting are required to submit their request in writing to the Marengo Township Supervisor not less than five (5) calendar days in advance of any such scheduled meeting. A brief courtesy question and answer period is offered at the beginning of each regular board meeting to hear public comments and questions.

How can I seek additional information about Marengo Township?

If additional information about Marengo Township is requested, simply call the Township offices at (815) 568-1355 weekdays. Furthermore, if specific documentation is required, submit your request in writing directly to the Town Clerk

Highway Questions

I think the street I live on needs repair, is there anything I can do?

Contact the Highway Department with the location. It will be repaired ASAP.

What should I do about a tree or other debris that's fallen on the road?

If it is during working hours, call me at 568-8636. If it happens after working hours, contact the McHenry County Sheriff at 338-2144 and they will contact me.

Why does it take so long to have my street plowed after a big snow?

We are generally on the road when the snow reaches 2" or more. If it starts snowing at night we are on the road within 1/2 hour after the Sheriff's Department notifies me. All roads in the township jurisdiction will be plowed and ice control put down wihtin 3 hours after we start.

Can I plow or shovel snow from my driveway or sidewalk onto the street?

NO! You can be fined and held responsible if there is an accident caused by the snow left in the roadway. This will be enforced by the McHenry County Sheriff's Department to the fullest extent of the law.

Can I park on the street when it's snowing?

At this time there is no ordinace preventing this except in marked areas, but it makes the snow plow operator's job easier and safer if cars are not on the roadway.

Note: Any questions can and will be answered if you call the Highway Department office between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm. If we don't know the answer, we will research and get the answer for you.

General Assistance Questions

What is General Assistance?

General Assistance is a local tax supported and administered welfare program for the needy and indigent living within Marengo Township. Strict qualification criteria are applied in determining eligibility.

How does General Assistance differ from other welfare programs?

The Marengo Township supported General Assistance Program consists of two types of welfare: regular monthly General Assistance and Emergency Assistance. The Marengo Township Supervisor administers both programs. These programs differ from other public and private sources of welfare in that they are administered locally, with local tax money.

Can I qualify for General Assistance if I'm enrolled in other welfare programs?

A budgetary analysis of all sources of an applicant’s income is determined at the time of initial application. Based upon dependent status, personal assets, resources, employment, and personal circumstances, it is conceivable that one might qualify for General Assistance in addition to being enrolled in other welfare programs

How do I apply for General Assistance?

General or Emergency Assistance must be applied for by submitting a completed and signed application to the Marengo Township Supervisor. In addition to the application, a personal interview will be scheduled to review and determine eligibility. Applications and appointments may be obtained by either calling or visiting the Marengo Township office.

If you qualify, you may be eligible to receive either General Assistance or Emergency Assistance. Applications are available at the Township Office, and by scheduling a personal interview appointment with the Township Supervisor.